Our workouts are designed to increase your heart rate and get you working hard so that you can maximize the effects of your workout. That’s right, there’s no benefit gained by doing a workout that you’re not motivated to do. There are several easy ways to increase your motivation to workout and increase your effectiveness as a result.
The first thing you can do to stay motivated is buy an ebook or mp3 player. I’m not talking about a player that plays music, I’m talking about a player that allows you to buy music and listen to it while listening to your workout. A lot of people hate working out on an elliptical machine, and will stick to the treadmill or some other cardio equipment. But a lot of people will get more benefit from going on a bike ride, rather than going on a bike ride with a music player blaring them on.
The next thing that you can do is to buy a pedometer. There are a lot of different kinds, but the basic pedometer will allow you to keep track of how many steps you take per minute. It can be rather motivating to compare it to how many steps you take per hour, to see how many steps you’re taking per minute. One good way to do this is to buy a pedometer that has steps per hour turned on. Then, when you do your workout, just go off per hour. If you’re doing a walking or running program, set the timer to a minute, then go for a minute. If you’re doing a biking program, set the timer to one minute intervals, then go for one minute intervals. The whole point of the pedometer is to allow you to measure the progress you’re making.
The third thing you can do to increase your effectiveness with your workout is to get some hand or foot pedals. Many people use an exercise ball, but if you’re going to do your workout on a regular basis, it might be better to do your workouts with hand or foot pedals. Again, this can be done for several reasons. For example, there are those who prefer to sit-up onto a ball, while others are more comfortable on a bench. Whatever you’re more comfortable with, sit up onto the pedal that suits you best. It will allow you to maintain your balance while doing your workout, to keep your back safe from injury, and to avoid getting hurt. It also allows you to adjust the degree of difficulty based on how you’re feeling. For example, if you’re really struggling to get up off the floor, you can pick up the intensity level a bit higher. This will allow you to feel a lot better about yourself while doing your workout. I’m sure you’ve done this before when you were out of breath, but trying to stay in control when out of breath is quite another matter.
One of the advantages of using hand pedals is that they let you keep your posture good, which is always an advantage when doing workouts. A few people would rather sit on a bench than a bench, but I’m sure that this won’t be common. I’d say that the other advantages are probably more important than the disadvantages. You might still find a bench handy for some, and I’m sure that you could find a way to sit on a bench as well. One thing you might consider is what type of workout you’re doing. Sit ups usually don’t work for cross fit, for example. You might find that you can do less intense sit ups for a bench workout instead. If you’re not sure, ask your trainer. The advantage of using hand pedals is that they can be placed on a key ring, and you don’t have to worry about what key you’ve got, or where you can find it.
One of the disadvantages of using hand pedals is that they’re easy to use. That can be difficult, especially for those who’ve never used one before. In fact, it might be embarrassing to have no key to your house. A trainer can give you some training, though, and some can be bought as well.
What to look for in a hand pedal
* Smooth and quiet – Sometimes we’re tempted to put things on noisy ones. If you’re a new user, make sure that you choose a hand pedal that you don’t have to shout for someone to hear you.
* Comfortable for prolonged use – Make sure that you choose a hand pedal that you can wear all day. If you’re in to long distance running, this might be a problem. Try to choose a hand pedal that will fit in your pocket. If you’re on the go, make sure that you choose a pedal that will fit in your bag.
* Easy to use – If you’re a new user, try to choose a hand pedal that is easy to use. Try to use it first before you put it on. If you’re feeling shy, ask someone else to help you.
What to look out for in a trainer
* Comfortable for prolonged use – When you use a trainer, try to choose one that’s comfortable for you to use. Don’t be pushed to use it so hard that it hurts your self. If you’re on the go, it’ll be easier to take it out of your pocket.
* Easy to use – Try to choose a trainer that doesn’t feel too difficult to use. If you’re feeling a bit shy, ask someone else to help you.
* Versatile – Make sure that the trainer you choose is well suited for different types of running. In case you’re into road running, a trainer that allows you to change tracks is a must. You can switch to treadmill running.
If you’re into road running, you should look for a trainer that can switch tracks on you. Most road running trainers can change your track while you run.
As a beginner, it’s important that you try a trainer that’s good enough for you. This way, you won’t be tempted to get one which will hurt your self.